1. My favorite mothering moment this year: Hans was interviewed at the high school for an SBO position. They asked him, “How would your mom describe you?”
Hans didn’t hesitate, “I know exactly what my mom would say because she tells me all the time- she thinks I’m funny and smart and nice and hard working.”
2. Ben calling me on the phone, “It’s been three days since I’ve talked to you, mom! I have so much to tell you.”
3. Driving to school with Xander: “I feel like the favorite child these days.”
4. Gabe and Mary chasing each other around the kitchen every morning before school. Laughing, teasing, enjoying every minute.
5. Every single letter we receive from Stefan.
Of course there are all the times I drive my kids crazy because I’m too tired or distracted or just plain grumpy. I’ve been accused more than once of taking the photo but missing the moment (do other mommy photographers hear this complaint?). My good intentions for morning scripture study have failed once again and wow, I really need to come up with better dinner ideas.
I can’t measure up. But I’ve seen the hand of God making up for what I lack. I’ve seen other people step into my children’s lives, I’ve seen miracles.
And now I’m worried my list will hurt someone’s feelings. But I believe God grants miracles to every mother, and to every woman with a mother heart.